September 7th, 2004
September 18th, 2004
Forearm of Aspen Mathews
"Fimo", Marabu paint,
Character & Intent
This is another one of these "Now what do I do with
figures I found for cheap ?" projects. In the case of one Sarah
Pezzini, scale and overal appearance just lent itself to a redesign
of what's probably fandom's least favorite character on "Buzz Lightyear
of Star Command": Gravitina, Mistress of Mass.
While I was working on this figure, I realized that Gravitina
have lots of untapped potential as a character. Unfortunately, none of which
would have been allowed to use on a kid's show. Apart from the obvious
"Head" jokes, I see a lot in her heritage. She has pointy ears and blueish
skin - Just like Tangean royals. She also has an oversized head - Just
like the Tangean ground-dwellers. It only seems natural to assume that
she is the result of a forbidden union of both races. In addition to that,
her powers could conceivably be an odd combination of the mass-
manipulation of the royals and the concussive blasts of the others.
Now, what would such a heritage mean ?
Her family probably would've been exiled in shame, forced to start
a new life in a faraway place. And she would probably have grown
up under the ridicule of others. These factors would also explain her
lust for power and her desperate need to be loved.
But I digress. Now for the figure....
Working on this figure has been pretty straight-foreward
for the most part. The fun thing about customizing Moore's
products is that the heads pop off quite easily, allowing me
to work on the parts individually in this case.
To my good fortune, the figure's hair was a glued piece, so
so it only took some boiling water to come off and remains
intact for future projects.
The sculpting done on the head didn't include any special
tricks... Just slow buildup of layer upon layer in a slow,
Next up, I dremeled Sarah's already abysmall mini-skirt
away. Upon examination, I decided to glue the legs in
place for the resculpt. It was the most useless leg articulation
ever, anyway. It gave the grand choices of stand or fall,
without any real change to the pose. Thus, the articulative
seam was promptly filled and sculpted over.
The modifications to the dress are all normal sculpting, as
The loincloth-y part, however, was done seperately and glued on
The right arm was just as fortunate as the hair - It, as well,
was merely glued on. By the way, the way it was attached
makes me wonder if it was originally intended to be ex-
The replacement part came from an Aspen Mathews figure.
However, I utilized a ceramic duplicate, as I don't like the
idea of destroying a perfectly fine figure for no more than
a forearm. As goes without saying, the part was sanded to
fit, glued on and sculpted over at the seams.
Also, I took some sanding and sculpting ot the feet to
a more stable stand. Unfortunately, they seem to have bent
out of shape somehow after painting, forcing me to apply the
(slightly modified) plastic stand at all times. I hate it when
my customs can't stand on their own, and this is the only
one that's permanently in that state.
The paintjob marked my first attempt at using Citadel Paints.
And, to shorten my evaluation of those straight to the point,
they're my preferred choice of paints now.
Finally, the earrings and the collarless neck collar were
afterwards and consist of sculpting and cheap deco-stones